A couple weeks ago I was feeling bad emotionally and physically. I was feeling very overwhelmed by being a Mother of three little ones three and under, managing a home that never seems to stay clean or organized, carving out time to be able to spend with my wonderful husband, and all the projects I want to get done but never seem to have the time for. I remember just wanting to give up...don't get me wrong I love my children and husband with all my heart but I was just worn out. I stumbled upon this book called Desperate: Hope for the Weary Mom and it wasn't a book that had all the answers for being the perfect Mom or how to get everything accomplished. It was a book that breathed grace back into my life and reminded me I don't have to be the perfect Mom. It is written by Sally Clarkson and Sarah Mae, one who is still in the trenches of raising little ones and Sally who offers her wisdom and encouragement from already having been there.
I am still not completely finished with the book but let me tell you each chapter is brim full of encouragement and I constantly find myself saying--that's exactly where I am! It talks about how women can encourage and mentor one another in being a young mother and wife that glorifies the Lord. The chapters cover training our children, sin, depression, being lonely, etc. This is not a manual that instructs you in what to do as much as encourages you that others have been there too. There is scripture throughout the book and both ladies take part in each chapter, Sarah writing Sally at the beginning and sharing her struggles with little ones and Sally sharing her experience and wisdom. I highly recommend the book for all mothers with little ones! Especially those that feel like they are drowning at times!
What You Will Find in Desperate
- The perspectives of an younger women going through the little years, and an older woman who has raised her children well
- QR codes and links at the end of each chapter that lead to videos with Sarah Mae and Sally talking about the chapter
- A friend who so understands those “hide me in closet” moments
- Practical steps to take during the desperate times
- Bible study and journal exercises in each chapter that will lead you to identify ways in which you can grow as a mom
- Mentoring advice for real-life situations
- Q & A section with Sally where she answers readers questions
- Do I need sleep?
- Have I been reading my Bible?
- Do I feel alone?
- Am I watching my health? (Exercise)
- How can I get help?
- What do I need to invest in the joy factor in my life?