Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

Update on Book Reading for 2013

So far Joshua and I have accomplished quite a few books for this year, it surprises even me. Joshua and I both have our own list of books we are trying to accomplish and then we are trying to read aloud as a family and as a couple. So here is what we have accomplished so far this year...
Bold as a Lamb is a biography on the man Pastor Lam over in China and his ministry in the underground Churches as well as his long time spent in prison. It was incredible to hear his testimony of being in a prison/work camp for 20+ years where he was constantly subjected to brain washing but where he still had a shining testimony and witnessed when God gave him the opportunity. It was interesting to see that China didn't say you can't believe in God and you can't be a christian as much as they ridiculed that you could believe in Christ and God and just didn't want you to share your faith. Our schools in America are like that today...this was a book we read as a couple.
Middlemarch is a book I started last year and couldn't get through it and this year decided I would try again...I persevered until I have at last finished the book. It was quite long but I'm glad I finished it, some people wound up happy, some wound up living very real lives with trials and trouble. It was interesting to me with the history on doctors and hospitals.
Jane Eyre we listened to read aloud while we drove around last month. Joshua had never read it and I hadn't read it since high school. I will say I enjoyed it much more this time around and seemed to be able to better appreciate it since I have lived life a little more and can understand moral dilemmas better.
The Power of a Praying Wife was really good to deepen my prayers not only for my husband but for others. It reminded me of all the different areas we struggle with and how important it is to pray for things besides just health and safety.
We just finished the Railway Children this weekend. We read this aloud as a family and quite enjoyed the story and writing style. It was so sweet, funny and had lots of trains in there so of course when Gideon and Tirzah were really listening they enjoyed it. Even when they were not Joshua and I enjoyed the book!

So my reading list so far:
  1. Power of a Praying Wife
  2. Desperate by Sally Clarkson and Sarah Mae
  3. My Life, My heart, My all MacDonald
  4. Middlemarch by Eliot
  5. Dombey and Son by Dickens
  6. Shirley by Bronte
  7. Buggies and Blizzards
  8. Ultimate Proof by Jason Lisle
  9. Not a Fan
  10. Out of the Salt Shaker
  11. Tortured for Christ
  12. You can Teach your Child Successfully

No comments:

Post a Comment