Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Have an abundance of Peppers?

So thinking that our garden was done producing we haven't been down to it is quite a while. So imagine my surprise when I went down to mow our field and found out that our pepper plants were producing an abundance of green and red peppers! They were nice and big and oh so beautiful. So I brought them in the house and left some to keep growing. For those who don't know, you can chop up those peppers and place them in your freezer to use later in the year when you want them in stir fry, casseroles, etc. They freeze just fine. I did that to most of mine and then with a small portion I made a delicious recipe that my mother-in-law makes. Its called unstuffed pepper casserole and although I don't think I've ever had the stuffed peppers I really love this casserole! It is easy to make, you can freeze it for later and it uses up some peppers! Below is the recipe:
You can also use peppers as teethers as Tirzah is doing.
She didn't want mommy taking her supply!
I love when they change colors!
Unstuffed Pepper Casserole:
1lb. ground beef
1/3C chopped onion
1.5C diced peppers
2 cloves of garlic
Take all the above ingredients and saute them add 1/2t salt and pepper to taste. Then add to the mixture:
1 can 15oz. diced tomatoes
1.5C cooked rice
1t Worcester sauce
1t Italian seasonings
1C grated cheese
Then you put that in an ungreased 9x13 pan and then top it with:
15oz. tomato sauce
1C grated cheese
Bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted on 375 degrees.

4 comments:

  1. We have an abundance of peppers too, Stephanie. Thanks for this recipe. I'm looking forward to trying it. :)
    Love,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy- That casserole sounds so good. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! I will try it, too! I made the same discovery--my pepper plants are still producing although I'd been ignoring them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recipe looks good! I'd like to give it a try... even though we don't have a garden this year. :-)

    Adorable pictures of Tirzah eating the peppers! Excellent, healthy teethers! :-)

    ReplyDelete